Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I'm in process of property purchase in UK. Current seller

Customer Question

I'm in process of property purchase in UK. Current seller created 4 flats. Applied planning . Turned down. 4 epc for flats over 4 years. 4 water line in Jan 2017. Electric 4 meter in October 2016. Property vacant from January 2020.
Which is the best way for 4 flats.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 4 days ago.

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

May I kindly clarify with you - are you seeking to purchase all four flats or just one of the flats in the building please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm purchasing whole building
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 hours ago.

Sorry for the delay in reverting to you over the weekend.

From what you say you will presumably wish to ensure that you acquire the freehold of the building. That may be all you need to acquire if the seller has not already formally granted leases for the four flats. From what you say he has. If this is the case, then you will also need to ensure you also take a transfer of all four leasehold titles from the seller. Note that it is not possible for the seller to grant leases to himself. So the only way he will have been able to grant leases is if he granted them to someone else. So for example if the freehold is owned by his limited company, his company could grant leases to himself or vice versa. Therefore is is quite possible if he has created leases, that you will be buying the property from two different entities.

Either way, your solicitor will need to confirm to you the status of the property title from a review of the Land Registry title, and will need to ensure that all relevant property is included in the sale contract to ensure that you acquire everything from the seller(s).