Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

My partner and I are in a fixed-term tenancy. Are there any

Hello, my partner and I are in a fixed-term tenancy. Are there any options of how we can end the agreement earlier? The landlord does not maintain the property, and when he sends someone to carry out repairs, it still does not get completed. For example, in our room, we have a leak from the outside wall into the walk-in wardrobe, and even though we told him more than a month ago, it still is not repaired, and we are worried about our health. Also, in summer, we were not able to contact him at all. We have evidence in the form of emails and pictures of the property. Thank you for your help.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have not filed any paperwork, we are looking for advice and guidance.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Derby
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this.

Hi there,

A fixed-term tenancy can be terminated by giving valid notice if provided if the tenancy,

by exercising Break clause

or on the expiry of the fixed term tenancy.

Or by surrender of the tenancy in favour of a new tenant , if mutually agreed with the Landlord.

Tenant remains liable for all rent payments till the expiry of the tenancy or till the new tenant takes over the tenancy , in surrender of tenancy.

If the landlord is ignoring the repairs , then you can make a complaint to the Environmental health department of your local council, they can issue improvement notice to the Landlord for carrying out the required repairs and can also issue fines to the Landlord.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your advice.

My pleasure, many thanks.