John LLB
John LLB, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Can I as a tenant break a 2 year AST if there is no break

can I as a tenant break a 2 year AST if there is no break clause if my circumstances change ie I need to leave the country because I have to relocate for work

Hello thanks for your message. Hopefully we can resolve this quickly.

You cannot legally end the te***** *****ke that. If there is no break clause you’ll need to her permission from your landlord you can end it. If he agrees then all obligations by you under the contract cease to exist.

Your landlord may agree but on the condition you find someone else to replace you as a tenant. In that case then you will be liable for rent until the day the new tenant replaces you.

Outside of that, you can not legally break the tenancy I’m afraid and if you did then your landlord may pursue you for any outstanding rent.

I hope I have helped clarify matters for you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will be happy to help. All the best. John.

Hello, I hope I have helped clarify matters for you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I will be happy to help. All the best. John.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi John, Do I have the right to propose a replacement tenant to the landlord when I need to move out? What if the landlord does not accept the replacement tenant. I am still liable for rent if the new tenant offers to pay the same rent as I was paying?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Imam still waiting for a response to the last question

Hello, my apologies but I do not work on here on weekends. You can propose a replacement tenant to the landlord, yes. If the landlord does not accept the tenant, then your position will remain the same unfortunately until a suitable tenant is located.