How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewExpertAS4920 Your Own Question
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 298
Experience:  -
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
NewExpertAS4920 is online now

I recently moved out of a property and the day was moving

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I recently moved out of a property and the day was moving out, I realised that the communal area of the property was being supplied electricity from our flat's electrical board. In the tenancy agreement wasn't mentioned and the real estate agents never told us either. During the one and a half year that we stayed at the property, we noticed massive fluctuations in the bills and the consumption, in a way that made no sense. We did not pay too much attention at the time thinking that winter consumption is higher. Then, a couple of months later, our neighbour started making improvements on communal areas such as the yard floor, doors etc. He was using tools which were plugged in at a socket which was apparently connected on our electrical board (the board is located outside the flat with no locks whatsoever). The man was working on these communal areas for months, withan electrical radiator connected on the aforementioned socket as well, something that would explain the higher consumption on our meters. The question I would like to ask is, is the fact that nobody made us aware of the communal areas being supplied with electricity coming from our board at any way illegal? If so, do you know what are repercussions associated with such illegalities?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: At this stage we want to simply know if there are any illegal actions that took place before we take legal actions
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: In Bromley, Kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Waiting for an answer.
Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
The costs of the communal area is to be shared with all other flats that use the communal area too. On the basis of the information provided and assuming that only you were responsible for the electricity supplied in the communal area then indeed that is incorrect and unfair. You would be entitle to the reimbursement of the sum that you have paid in excess had all other flats had made their contributions.You should consider writing to the landlord or the managing agents explaining what had happened and see if they'd reimeburse you without the need to going to court. If not, then I suggest instruct a local firm to issue a letter before action before filling a claim. It is usually advisible and cheaper to resolve matters without resorting to the court.I hope that answers your query. If not please feel free to ask follow up questions.
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 298
Experience: -
NewExpertAS4920 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you