Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

My husband passed away a year ago and left a house to me and

My husband passed away a year ago and left a house to me and our daughters in his Will. Now that probate has been granted and our daughters want to sell their shares to me directly without having to transfer their names onto the deed. (I'll pay them cash). I was told that we may need to make a deed of variation in order to do that. Please advise.

Hi, provided you are paying your Daughters for their share in the property, there will be no need for a Deed of Variation to be prepared. This is because a Deed of Variation is used in circumstances where the beneficiaries wish to amend post death their entitlement under the Will. (As you are paying your Daughters for their share, they are still in effect still receiving their benefit from the Will albeit that they are receiving cash for their share).

All you therefore need to do is to instruct a Solicitor to prepare the Land Registry document transferring the property to you.

I hope this assists and sets out the general legal position.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you very much!

Thanks!

All the best Andrew