Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

My Landlord (leaseholder) wants me to pay £474 for them to

Hi Pearl,
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: My Landlord (leaseholder) wants me to pay £474 for them to answer the questions from my Estate Agent pertaining to the rental costs and ground rent of my flat, the same I have already provided to the Estate Agent. Is there any requirement / obligation for the Landlord to answer these questions without charging? Thanks Simon
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Maidstone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only really, whether I have to pay this extortionate fee to the Landlord in order for them to provide the information requested.

Hi, on the basis that you are selling your property, it is a legal requirement that you obtain replies to Leasehold Property Enquiries (LPE) from the Freeholder/Managing Agents. Your Buyers Solicitors will not proceed without seeing this information.

Most Freeholders/Managing Agents charge £300-£400 plus VAT to prepare the answers to LPE and although this is daylight robbery, I am afraid that it is a necessary evil which needs to be paid for to enable your Sale to proceed.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay, thank you. Regards Simon

Thanks Simon.

All the best.

Andrew