How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2113
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I am a private landlord & I rent individual rooms in my

This answer was rated:

Good morning. I am a private landlord & I rent individual rooms in my property. I have 3 rooms which has 3 tenants most of the times. Very rarely it will 4 tenants if it is couples in one room. Do I need a HMO licence for my property. Please advise.


Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

It is likely your property will be classed as a hmo because its rented out to 3 people that are not from the same family. Whether you require a licence is a decision your council will determine.

Therefore you should contact your local council and they will provide further information regarding whether your home requires a licence.

Please see below a link for further information about the point discussed above.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Anthony Chendo and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you