Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a new tenant in a one bedroom flat from September 15

I have a new tenant in a one bedroom flat from September 15 2020 for six months. He is 80 years old and the flat is in a well kept block of about 40 flats.
1.?The problem is, he is refusing to allow anyone into the flat. That includes the gas safety engineer who needs to do the annual gad safety check. The gas safety check was due on September 7 2020. Before he signed the contract I explained that to him and he persuaded me to let him in before the check was done because he was living in a tiny room in a hotel.
Since then I have tried many types of messages. In the last message, I said I can send him the legal requirement. He said he won’t believe what I send and no one can enter the flat. What can I do please?2. Also, the contract is not correct. I only had a lodgers contract with me at the time which he signed, on the understanding that I would return with a proper tenants agreement. He is not allowing me to give him the tenancy contract as we had agreed. How does a lodgers contract affect me in this situation please?

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous.

1. You are entitled to enter the flat in order to meet your legal requirements such as in relation to the gas safety check. If you have keys therefore you can enter regardless of the wishes of the tenant. If you do not have keys you will need to get the locks changed and charge the tenant for preventing access.

2. In terms of the contract, this should not prevent you from terminating the contract or anything of that nature. You would be governed by the terms of the agreement so just check this for the terms.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
Bye

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.