How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18769
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have maid a gentle mans aggrement for a pice of land to

Customer Question

i have maid a gentle mans aggrement for a pice of land to buy it is worth £85000 , the owner wanted me to work some of the bill off refurbishing his house , in totall i have workd a bill of £9000 and transferd £21000 in to his bank , the owner has now decided that he dosent whant to sell the pice of land and he wants to take years to pay the money back , because he has spent it ,
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no i havent because i run a comercial phesant shoot busines from his property he ownes the estate , he has tried to cause an argument with me a few times ,trying to make me walk away from everything , i have snagging lists from him and his wife and meny messages , allways wanting me to do more work
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Carraglwyd estate
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: CARREGLWYD ESTATE LLANFAETHLU HOLLYHEAD LL654NY they have other contractors in now with big machines silting out the lake in front of the house which is costing thousends and he cant afford to pay me
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

You can seek a Court order for the money, or seek to make him give you the land.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

If you want the Land it wont be a small claim. You would need to complete forms N1:

And N16a:

The Court would list for hearing and decide whether to order the land is transferred to you.

If the Court does and he refuses this could be contempt of Court which he may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.