Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Thanks for your response. It has been very informative. I

Customer Question

Dear SirThanks for your response. It has been very informative. I understand that at one time that it was ok for a benefactor to be a witness and a benefactor providing that there was at least one other witness, especially in an emergency as they was meant one main who was unable to attend at the last minute, since the original solicitor proceeded with the probate despite me being the sole witness! Do you know what legislation permitted him to do so and if so can you quote and briefly what it states along with the other two you quoted me, then that would probably all the answers I need thank you please and thank you?Yours truly
N Alfred
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

May I clarify the basis of your above understanding regarding the need for less than two witnesses please? i.e. where you read or heard this to be the case?

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide the following limited response. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms the signing requirements for a will are set out in the Wills Act 1837 which has not really changed in any substantive degree since that time. The Wills act provides that a testator must sign a will in the presence of two witnesses who must in turn sign the will in the testators presence.

The requirements prior to the Wills act may well have been different - I do not know without research what the requirements prior to this time were but the age of the Act is so old so as to make the arrangements prior to this of little more than historical interest

I hope the above is of help. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Dear sirThanks very much for precising answering my question. Execellent serviceYours trulyN Alfred
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm glad the above is of some assistance. Thank you for your feedback