Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Am leaving in a 2 bedroom house with my husband 15 year old

Hi am leaving in a 2 bedroom house with my husband 15 year old son ,11 year old daughter and a 5 year old daughter we been we have been bidding for 7 to 8 years
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: No I live in the UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** hope I can help you today. Can I confirm what is your question?

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. Without the information I asked for, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. If your concern is about the number of rooms in the house you will need to contact your local council who may be able to re house you. It appears from what you have stated above that the house is overcrowded. The house is overcrowded if 2 people of the same sex sleep in the same room and are 10 or over. You can read more about this here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/check_if_your_home_is_overcrowded_by_law

I would advise that you contact your local council to explain your circumstances and they may be able to help you find a new home. You can find contact information for your local council here: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am currently renting a 2 bed flat from the council for over…. Years. I live there with my partner and my 3 children; 15 year old boy, 11 year old girl and a 5 year old girl child. When I had my 2nd child I informed the council and their respond were until the boy turns the age of 10, I will then be able to bid for a 3 bedroom flat. When my son turned 10 I was then put onto the bidding list, I then gave birth to my 3rd child and informed the council. The council informed me that I should use my sitting room as a bedroom and continue bidding. Under our living circumstances, using the living room as a bedroom became very difficult as our flat is very small and compacted. The flat does not consist of the dining area and so we lost family time to spend together, there is always constant argument between the children as the sitting room remains with the TV so the other kids are always there. My son is now starting studies for his GSCE however, there is always interference from the other kids which makes it difficult for him to concentrate. The kitchen is very small, so we all eat in our bedrooms for 5 years we have been doing this. I have no place to dry my washing as the sitting room is now being used a bedroom and is very crowded with a small sofa and a bed, yet still I have to force the clothing rack to fit somewhere either the living room or the girls bedroom. Over the years this has caused build up of moles which has affected to walls and ceiling in the children room as the rooms are overcrowded. Last year my youngest daughter was became asthmatic and needed medication to help when she has an attack and cannot help to think that this could be due to the overcrowding and the build up of moles. My son and eldest daughter are always arguing in the sitting room when he wants his space and she is watching TV. I suffer from hypertension and this living arrangement puts me under lots of stress. Every time I reach out to the council on my living condition all I get is to continue bidding. My relationship with my partner is also challenged as we are unable to have quality time in attempt to manage the children living arrangements to create less arguments in the house. We have suffered long enough, I have endorse this for 5 years and I thought I would be closer in my bidding stage however, nothing has changed. I need some advise in this matter in moving forward.
Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am very sorry to hear about your situation. You will need to make a formal complaint to the council setting out the full situation and attaching evidence to support your claim. You may need to instruct a solicitor to represent you and write the complaint on your behalf. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid. You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: https://find-legal-advice.justice.gov.uk/. Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/). CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals/find-legal-advice-clinic-near-you. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.