How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18780
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have question I took business 4 month ago didn’t go well

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have question I took business 4 month ago didn’t go well sold the lease now landlord refuse to pay back my deposit
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Liverpool uk
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: no every fine sold the lease shop in good condition on the lease say when you terminate the lease the should return the deposit
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No need some one speak on if possible is easy for me
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
In the lease says if terminet the lease deposit should return to the tenant
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

It should, yes

Does that help?