How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18780
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My husband got me arrested and on release i was not

Customer Question

Hi, my husband got me arrested and on release i was not comfortable going back home. He told the police that he would leave the property within 3 days to 1 week and I would return with the kids however after 4 days he refused to leave. I agreed to go to my friends house because I was sure he would leave. Our rent is due and seeing we are both on the contract, we are both legally bound and liable for the whole rent even if I am not staying there. My question is I made the decision to go to my friends place because he said he was leaving. When he refused to leave I have incured unnecessary costs as I have to pay bills and rent here. Is there a way I can go about this to avoid any further financial problems.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What paper work?
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: In Enfield, North London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

The only way to do it would be removed from the tenancy agreement.

You need to speak with the Landlord and explain the situation.

Only the Landlord can remove you. You can not make the Landlord remove you.

It may be that the Landlord refuses, in which case you can't do anything about it until the end of the fixed term.

But the Landlord might be sympathetic and remove you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Brilliant, so if by any chance the landlord accepts to remove me from the contract, will he have to give me a notice period or it can be effective immediately? Also my husband had expressed that he did not want to retain the property because it was large however he gave me options.
Please see attached. I went with the first option which seemed the best but later he retracted and said he will not do this as I am the one who chose to seperate. Is there a way this can be binding?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

Sadly not......

I am sorry. Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your response.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Lastly seeing the attached options texted from my husband, can it be legally binding?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

No, I don't think so sadly.