james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Just wanted to know can I have two single unrelated persons

Customer Question

Hi just wanted to know can I have two single unrelated persons as lodgers in my flat..I'll also be living in the same flat. I dont want it as HMO. How many lodgers can I keep in my flat in separate rooms and shared bathroom and kitchen. I usually go around my kids places and my mothers or friends but the flat will be only home.
That is bedroom flat, but I sometimes use living as bedroom.
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If you have three or four occupants where one (or more) is not related, then your property is legally an HMO. However, With only three or four people, your property does not need a Mandatory HMO Licence that only applies where there are 5 or more people. However, IT MAY STILL NEED A LICENCE. Many Councils have introduced what is called an “Additional HMO Licensing” scheme.

So, even if there are only going to be two or three people in the property, is is best to check with your local council first to see if you need the licence.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.