Andrew
Andrew, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
107536658

I am the sole owner of a rental property and the named

I am the sole owner of a rental property and the named landlord on the AST. I want to sell the property in 20/21 tax year - I am hoping to serve notice on my Tenants in January. I also want to change the ownership of the Property to Joint Tenants in Common 50/50 BI split with my husband to maximise both CGAs. Can I make the ownership change without compromising the legality of my AST. I do not want to issue a new AST in joint names.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Nothing just researching the topic
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: in UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Property is specifically in England

Hi, there is no harm in you transferring the property into your joint names before selling the property. Your Tenant is protected by the terms of the AST and the change in ownership does not affect this. The only thing you should do is to serve Notice on the Tenant that the new Landlord is you and your husband and provide your new Bank details if the future rent is to be paid into a joint account.

I hope this assists.

Kind Regards

Andrew