james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

If I am added to a tenancy agreement by addendum, but have

Customer Question

Hi, if I am added to a tenancy agreement by addendum, but have not signed it, is these a legally binding contract?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Uk
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have not signed the original tenancy agreement either.
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Great, so the question is, is it a legally binding contract? Even if I haven't signed anything
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don't want to call.

If your name being added to the tenancy is with your agreement and you are or were living at the property, then yes, it is legal. A tenancy agreement does not have to be in writing it can be verbal and even a persons actions can be considered as having a tenancy. Even if you don't sign you will still have protected tenancy right that are inferred by you being there.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am still subletting but my tenancy period starts shortly. The clause I am worried about is that I am liable to pay rent until I find a replacement tenant. In these times finding tenants is not that easy. If nobody wants the room, is there a limit, financial or otherwise, to how liable I am to pay the rent?

That clause is very normal and applies often.

You would be legally liable for the duration of the tenancy contract for you part until the agreement ends or you find a replacement.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.