How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6623
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I am planning to buy a property. The notes from the

Customer Question

I am planning to buy a property. The notes from the Solicitor/drainage company say as below --The water and drainage search has confirmed the following:-
• The foul and surface water drainage from the property drains into a public
• The property is connected to the mains water supply.
• Charges for this property are not made on a metered basis.
• There is a sewer within the boundary of the property. Would you please
inspect the plan and confirm that the sewer has not been built over or
within 3 metres.
The plan supplied with the search indicate the routes of water mains foul and
surface drains which are adopted by the local water authority and which they are
responsible for maintaining. However the plans do not identify the routes of
private connections to the water mains and foul and surface drains which will
either be your sole responsibility or shared with neighbouring property. We do
not have any further details in this regard. We suggest if you require any further
information on this you obtain a report from an independent surveyor or
In October 2011 Thames Water took over the maintenance of some of those
private sewers mentioned above. The only way to ascertain whether the private
sewers are now publicly maintained is to request either a sewer trace directly
with the provider or a CCTV survey of the sewer. If publicly maintained sewers
are then found to be present you will not be able to build over or within 3 metres
of these without permission from the water provider without obtaining a build
over sewer agreement. If the sewers have already been built over then you will be
liable for any damage to the sewer and the water company could remove any
buildings which in their opinion obstruct or cause damage to the sewers.Can I do the side extension or back extension in future. This property is based in London Borough of Kingston,I also attach some more information for your assessment as below-----
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 23 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous. This is not strictly a legal query that could be easily answered, it seems that the water drains into public drains. How that affects the drainage off the land and therefore, whether or not an extension or other building work would be approved on the land should planning permission be applied for is a matter for a chartered surveyor who could inspect the land in question. For more information on planning applications and drainage concerns see here:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.