How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2219
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I live in a one bed room council flat tin Wellington

This answer was rated:

I live in a one bed room council flat tin Wellington Somerset. My tenancy has been for well over twenty years. Last year the council (Taunton Deane Borough Council) amalgamated with the West Somerset Council and renamed West Somerset and Taunton Deane Council. The new council has proved itself to be very draconian in its relationship with the tenants of sane flats in as much as taking away our doormats, saying that they are obstructive and fire risks. These flats are in groups of four with a small downstairs communal area.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have prepared a dossier of complaints and photographs intended for a local councillor
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No. I can not afford this
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have all received a letter from someone which is not signed or named but registers them self as the case manager. This person states that there will be a visit tomorrow (12/11/20) so I intend to talk to whoever visits. A neighbour aged 80 was in tears when she received the letter and feared that if she complained she would be evicted. She is a long term tenant.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, this is Readylaw, welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Hello again, thank you for your enquiry and your patience.

I am sorry to hear of the treatment you and the other tenants have been receiving. There really should not be a situation where you are fearful of raising concerns about the housing situation or the poor treatment you are receiving.

I note in your message that you had said that you were supposed to have been having a meeting today. I do hope that all issues were resolved at the meeting and you were able to raise your grouses.

If the issues were not resolved, then you may want to look into raising a written complaint about his with the council. Contact your council and ask for the email address for their complaints department. It may be more effective if the complaint letter is written on behalf of all tenants with concern. It will highlight that you are not the only one with the issue. If after raising the concern, they do not resolve the issues raised, then you may want to consider escalating your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman. This is a free, independent service that is mandated with reviewing concerns such as these. They are able to independently assess your complaint to see whether it is of merit. If it is found to be of merit, then they are able to recommend to the council things to do to resolve the concerns you’ve raised.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2219
Experience: Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you