How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18762
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I need some advice on tennant law, London, contacted

This answer was rated:

hi, i need some advice on tennant law
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: contacted solicitors but no one is interested in the case
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: its regarding health and safety as they have boarde up our windows
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My landlords contractor are doing works to the exterior of the building including replacing the existing windows. They removed my windows and blocked them up with plywood, corex and plasterboard instead of a new window. They say they are missing a part to install them properly. They are not operable and are fully blocked. Why they removed all of them before attaining this required part is beyond me. There is scaffolding on the building that is not alarmed so people can climb up. It is both a Fire and safety risk as well as the fact that we don’t have any fresh air coming into the bedroom or the kitchen. Insulation is also an issue going into winter. The only fresh air is a pair of french doors in the living room. Is this illegal for them to do this? How much should our landlord compensate us? They offered 20% but I don’t think it’s enough considering the risks and impact on wellbeing, especially during lockdown. We also signed the renewal of our contract expecting the windows to be replaced while we were away on holiday and before our contract renewal date. We got back and the windows were boarded. No one told us that was going to be the case. Our renewed contract has just started but we didn’t sign expecting our windows to be boarded up. We pay for a London canal view which were not getting. The works were meant to be completed within 2 months and it is now going on 5 months. Do we have a right to quit the contract early with no penalties? We’re meant to stay at least 6 months til April and give 2 months notice. We don’t want to stay in a boarded up flat especially during lockdown and especially it wasn’t in agreement. To me this is breach in contract. We have accepted 20% discount for November with a view to review again in December. I need to know my options. Is it illegal? Is it a breach in contract? If we have to stay for the contracted 6 months, we should be given a discount or be put up in a safe location until the works are done? Again we pay a premium for a view which has been blocked with scaffolding for 5 months and windows boarded up for 6 weeks. Please help!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
pictures attached

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi, I really need an answer. What about tenancy law experts? I will wait but I need to know as soon as possible to compile my claim with the landlord. Thanks, hannah

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Based on what you have said, I don't think you can get more than £20,000 in compensation

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi, I think we simply want to get out of the flat at this point rather claiming for compensation. Would we also have to go to a court process to leave the flat without giving our 2 month notice or paying our 6 month minimum period?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We feel that the state of the flat was not part of our agreement and therefore any contracts made are null and void. What legal right do we have for doing this?

No, you just leave and do not tell the Landlord where you are going.

Does that help?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18762
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great thanks.

My pleasure