How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2213
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I'm trying to terminate my current tenancy and the landlord

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i'm trying to terminate my current tenancy and the landlord told me the following:Just to let you know your tenancy expires on 24th of September 2021 and you can give 2 months’ notice after 24th July 2021. There are 2 options available when vacating the property before the end of the contract.
Option 1) Paying the rent until end of the contract.
Option 2) We can try and assist putting the flat on the market subject to landlord’s consent. Where a new tenant is found outgoing tenant will need to balance agent fee back to the landlord’s which is £90 pcm for every early terminated month for this flat.
Please advise how you wish to proceed.
is there a way for me to not pay that £90 pcm?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: london
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that i will respond within 24 hours.

The general rule is if you wish to end your tenancy before the end of the fixed term you will be liable for the rent up until the end of the fixed term and the landlord's reasonable costs in finding a replacement.

That said there are alternative ways to end the tenancy earlier than the date proposed.

You can do this by exercising a breakclause if you have one, therefore check your contract.

You can negotiate with the landlord by either offering your deposit or notifying the landlord you will find someone to replace you.

Another point to note with regards ***** ***** £90pcm, is I suggest you challenge the landlord on the basis he should explain how he is suffering such a loss as a result of the early termination. I say this because the permitted fees can only cover loss incurred by your landlord or your agent’s reasonable costs.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Anthony Chendo and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you