How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Your Own Question
Andrew, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 123
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Andrew is online now

Myself and my neighbour have access rights on foot and by

This answer was rated:

Myself and my neighbour have access rights on foot and by vehicle on a driveway adjacent to our houses. The driveway is owned by a third party who has recently sold parking rights to my neighbour. The result is that they are quite often blocking my access with parked car. Is the driveway owner allowed to sell parking rights that ignore my right to access?

Hi, thanks for your enquiry.

As you already had a right of way over the driveway, the owner of it can not then grant any third party any rights which would hinder or obstruct your Right of way. I am sure you do not want to have to take Court proceedings against the driveway owner but it would be wise for you to write to him stating that unless he takes positive action to prevent your right of way from becoming obstructed, then you will have to consider issuing Court proceedings against him.

I hope this sets out the general legal position.

Kind Regards


Andrew and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you