SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

We (my Wife and I) have been in conflict with the Valuation

We (my Wife and I) have been in conflict with the Valuation Tribunal Service for nearly six years, with regard to being taxed on an 'imaginary' annex. All this time they have tried every trick they can to deny us justice. It all started with being denied the chance to put our case at the original tribunal in 2015, and a subsequent Magistrates Court hearing in 2019. Every appeal we have made
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: They refused to discus any thing except say in so many words "They had done nothing wrong", and would not visit the site when the building was finished. They would not even answer inconvenient facts and legal questions - they just ignored them. When we appealed to the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman, they just copied all the VTS lies, tricks and devious behaviour. We have found that the VTS are answerable to no one, and consequently are a law unto themselves, and could dictate to the P&HSO to behave as they have done.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: This inquiry for help concerns a new build semi-bungalow we bought in 2014, not a work place.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where are you based physically in the UK?

Good afternoon. Thank you for your enquiry and patience. I am a solicitor and would like to review your legal dispute but it is not clear at what stage you are now. Have you been advised of any escalation rights? Why do you call it imaginary annnex? Is it because the VTS made an error in assessing that there was an annex when there isn’t one?

Good morning, I had hoped you would come back with additional information. It appears from your initial message that you have exhausted all avenues that you could pursue free of charge. You may have no option now but to commence litigation against the VTS. You may make an application to Court for a declaratory order confirming your rights and that there is no annex as alleged by the VTS. Please let me know if you have more specific detail and I am happy to clarify. All the best.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your comments and assessment this far. Yes, I can wait to the end of this month. The VTS seem to be answerable to no one outside their department, and consequently are a law unto themselves. The list of their unprofessional antics is unbelievable in this day and age. Interestingly, they have never said we are in error, they just ignore the facts and our inconvenient questions. I'm afraid I bulked at the £44 charge for a phone call to you. We are in our 80s, my wife is semi disabled, and our resources are limited. I can submit a list of their extraordinary acts of incompetence and unlawful antics. I assume that when you say you may make an application to Court, you mean the High Court, where costs become eye watering. At the minute I am waiting for an answer from the Cabinet Secretary (Simon Case, and Head of the Civil Service). I shall be surprised I we get even an acknowledge -ment.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Addendum:- We have never been advised of any escalation rights, in fact the VTS have worked to shut us up at every turn by shutting every door of appeal by devious means. The phrase 'imaginary annex' refers to the VTS claiming that our Utility room can double as a Kitchenette with no masonry changes (not so) required for it and an adjacent bedroom to be a separate annex. By changing the name Utility room to Kitchenette they claim justifies their action. The Utility room was designed as such and has always been used for laundry and cleaning, not cooking. I can easily copy you with the appeal we sent to the Cabinet Secretary.

Good afternoon. Thank you for your messages. Please do not worry abou the auto phone call offer, If you prefer to type, I happy to guide you typing. We offer calls as other customers prefer to talk and save the waiting time. I am very sorry to hear of your situaion and I am happy to see the letter you sent to the cabinet secretary if you can attach it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** no idea how to attach our letter to the Cabinet Secretary to this document. Could you please send me your Email address so I can attach it to a regular Email. We have now been invited to put £50 on your 'Just Answer' service! We were under the impression that costs would come after we have some idea from a Solicitor who could handle our case against the VTS. Just out of interest where are you physically located ie the town. Knowing where somehow makes communicating a bit easier.

Good morning, the Just answer service is to give you "answers" online, we do not represent customers, the fee would be significantly high to reflect a retainer and representation. I am in England and qualified solicitor for England and Wales, so you can be assured that you are not getting responses from a robot or from someone that does not have the relevant qualification. I do not know what you get charged as any offers come to you from the JA customer service not from the experts, you are free however to not accept additional offers if you do not need them. if you are looking for representation you would need to see if perhaps the Bar Council's pro bono barristers may want to assist free of charge, failing that the only free service that I know is guaranteed is citizens advice bureau. All the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Oh dear! Thank you for your comments, but you have still not given me an Email address to send the letter to you.