MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

A covenant in my lease says "The tenant covenants with the

Customer Question

A covenant in my lease says "The tenant covenants with the landlord to use the property exclusively as a private dwelling". Can I move out and rent the property?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None
JA: Where is the dwelling located?
Customer: East London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Can I confirm that you a proposing to rent the property out to another party who will use the property for residential purposes?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification, as long as the property is rented out to another for residential purposes this will not breach the covenant. This covenant appears to be aimed at preventing someone from running at business at the property.

Hopefully I have answered your question in a straightforward manner however if anything remains unclear I will be happy to assist you further.