james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I live in a housing association block of flats. The issue is

Customer Question

I live in a housing association block of flats. The issue is abiut poor internet provision. Only broadband is available but its very slow. Fibre is available in my area but no cables have installed. These need Openreach or another telephone company to install. The housing association has refused to authorise this so that i and other residents can have faster fibre broadband. Myself and other residents having been working from home and our children are learning from home too. Working from home has proved difficult due to lack of fibre connections. What law can myself and other residents use to get the housing association to act please?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet just emails exchanges with the housing association maintance team since 2019.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Groung floor
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will wait. Thank you.
Expert:  james bruce replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Unfortunately, there has been much talk form government of fibre optic, and mega bit connections to properties by 2025 etc. As yet this is not the case and there is no legislation in place to compel landlords. Still in consultation process as it has been for years.

There is no legal requirement oj landlords to offer internet. wifi etc.

So until legislation is brought in by the government, which could take goodness no when, multiple governments have promised this, then it is a case of just got on with what limited services you have. Sorry.