How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2152
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have been contacted by my sister's solicitor saying I

This answer was rated:

I have been contacted by my sister's solicitor saying I broke trust laws and inheritance laws when I spent our mothers money when she was living with us until she died. Looking back I believe I did. I want to settle but they are asking for £174,000 and I have nothing. No house, no savings, no assets etc. Could I offer to pay an amount each month until I die? It would not come to £174,000 but I have no other options.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: England
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Bank statements etc.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. You should not agree to settle unless you are 100 % certain you broke any law. I would advise that you instruct a solicitor to represent you.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. If the matter needs to go further and you would like to arrange a settlement agreement the solicitor can help with this. You can make an offer to pay in instalment. Ultimately it will be for the other side to accept your offer. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You have really confirmed my thoughts, so thank you. I will follow the link to and go from there.

Hi, thank you for your message. No problem. I am glad I could help. Best wishes

Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you