How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 28924
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We need to serve a S5 Notice in order to sell the head lease

Customer Question

Good morning, we need to serve a S5 Notice in order to sell the head lease of a building to a developer. We are the freeholders and have a good understanding of what is required. Thanks and regards, ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are located in Ealing, the building is in Acton, London W3.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have agreed a price with the developer, pre-approval from the council planners, outline plans, surveyors, valuations - pretty much everything - just need to serve the notices in order to comply with RoFR etc.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can't think of anything else that would be an issue - it's pretty straight forward as far as I understand.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

  1. May I confirm from what you describe, this is a proposed sale by contract as opposed to for example sale by auction or granting of an option to purchase please?
  2. do you have some questions on the process?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, yes, by contract (we have the developers / purchasers heads of terms) of the head lease - not the freehold. I have been working of this project for some time now, so I don't really have any questions, just need to issue the S5A Notices and get on with the process. Regards, Simon. (I can't seem to open your reply message in my Outlook for my email alias, so I am using this one as it is allowing me to open and respond to your response).
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you. Do you have some questions in relation to the process please? This service is a legal information service rather than providing representation as such. I'm very clear on the circumstances you describe above; I am not certain however what assistance you are seeking?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We just need to issue the Notices to 15 lessees (we are one of the 15) - are you saying that you cannot actually assist us with / through the process?
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I cannot represent you and do the work for you because this is a legal information service not a full service legal firm. if you require representation, you would need to appoint a local solicitor. I can answer questions you may have your proposing to undertake the work yourself. I attach a copy of the notice that you would need to consider using based upon what you have told me. if you have any questions in relation to how to serve the notice, I'm very happy to assist in this respect