Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
107933507

I need advice on how best to proceed with the lease on flat

Customer Question

I need advice on how best to proceed with the lease on flat i own. Whether to do a deed of variation with the ground rent or would it be better for me to buy the freehold
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a price from the landlord for a deed of variation
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Chester UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am in the process of selling the flats so need to make a decision for the best in the long term
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Further information is that I have about 244 years left on my lease. The current ground rent is £250 per annum and is set to double every 10 years.
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 12 days ago.

Good afternoon

Has the landlord offered you the option to purchase the freehold?

Has this been discussed with the other leaseholder?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

No the landlord has offered me a deed of variation in relation to the ground rent. I have not discussed the option to buy the leaseholders. I own 4 out of 8 flats in the block. Do all leaseholders have to buy the freehold or can I just purchase my flats.

Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 12 days ago.

You will need to speak with the Landlord to see if he is willing to sell the freehold, and if so at what cost. You will then need to discuss with the rest of the leaseholders if anyone else is interested in purchasing with you. The option needs to be provided to all leaseholders. If they refuse then you can buy on your own, but you will have to buy the whole building, not just your flats.

Otherwise it may be easier to just proceed with the deed of variation - you will want this for all 4 of your flats separately.