Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

How do I get a copy of my freehold lease from the Land

How do I get a copy of my freehold lease from the Land Registry?
I have a flat in a block and I've spent hours googling how to do it and searching on their website without success.
They offer title plans ect but not my lease.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm a leaseholder, so I need my leaseholder's lease.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. for the avoidance of doubt, may I clarify it is your lease that you are seeking to obtain please?
  2. Have you already obtained a copy of your title register entries from the land registry showing your name as owner etc?

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms in the first instance, you would need to obtain a copy of your title from the land registry if you do not already have one. For the avoidance of doubt, this would need to be the leasehold title rather than the freeholld title. If you do not already have a copy of your title, you can obtain a copy for 3 pounds here:

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

once you have that, you will see in the title the details of your lease. the lease can be ordered from the land registry but unfortunately not online you will need to complete the following form and send it to the land registry together with your cheque for 7 pounds. You will receive a copy of the lease typically 5 to 10 days later:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-copies-of-documents-registration-oc2

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Joshua.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes. It is a copy of my lease I wish to obtain. I do not have the title details at present but I think they are in a file somewhere. I will find it and reply. What are the title details? Are they just a number and address, or are the registered owners listed too? I am half owner with my partner.
Thanks for the links. I will use them once I get clarity from you.
Neil

I apologise for the delay in reverting to you over the long weekend. The title deeds are a record on the Land Registry's computer (if the land is registered) but this is conclusive evidence of your ownership and a record of any right benefitting the land and any rights the land is subject to. They can be obtained for £3 from the link above.