Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I need verification that I am entitled two lots of

Customer Question

I need verification that I am entitled two lots of inheritance tax without paying tax on my estatre
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In South Brent devon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no steps
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

may I clarify what you refer to it being entitled to inheritance tax please? The reason I ask is inheritance taxes payable to HMRC not to individuals? are you able to kindly clarify your query?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry. My late husband died in 1990. No inheritance tax was payable on his estate. Am I entitled to relief on double the £325k allowance on my estate?
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you for the clarification. providing your husband did not use any of his nil rate band allowance, for example because he left everything to you, then you would be entitled to claim his unused nil rate band allowance and uplift that to the current value today. So for example, if you did not use any of his nil rate band allows, you would have his full unused nil rate band allowance uplifted to £325,000 at today's value available to add to your own. if you own a property and you plan to leave any part of the property to children you have, you also will be able to use your main residence nil rate band of £175,000 in respect of any such gift and you would also be able to claim your husband's unused main residence nil rate band of equal amount even though this did not exist at the time he passed away