How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3020
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am a tenant in commercial place, there were arrears and

Customer Question

i am a tenant in commercial place , there were arrears and landlord is asking to leave in a week
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: havent done any
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: hayes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: due to covid , we were not able to visit the premises on continous basis and couldnt pay the rent and its arears around 7k
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I fully understand the situation, sadly  you are not alone.   However the pandemic does not have a baring on legal contracts, therefore if business is affected due to the pandemic, the lease contracts are still in place.  What you will require to do is look through the termination. provision on the contract to determine if they can evict you with such short notice, however they are likely taking the view you have breached the contract and closing to terminate it.  In terms of the arrears, you will have to explore your options with the landlord, i.e if you can pay it back by increasing the rent for a period of time.  However, there are not automatic provisions which allow you to legally build up arrears if there is a contract in place even with the ongoing pandemic.  Worst case would be the landlord would. look at a small claims action against you to recover the arrears.  If that is the case you may wish to consider instructing a solicitor for further advice at that point.  I. sincerely ***** ***** was better news however the contract is still enforceable unless you can achieve an agreement with the landlord to deviate from it in the meantime.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i am actually the operations manager and my director and owner is in India for some health reasons ... and vacating on 7 may within a week is really tough
any advice on buying time with the landlord ?
FYI - landlord is Hayes campus in uxbridge where in hayes bus studios where we are renting is just a subsidary of that college
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
even if i have to find a new place will take min 1 or 2 months
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

It will really come down to negotiation with the landlord there is not really a "legal" provision. you can use to extend this unless it is expressly staled in your contact with them.