SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

We are selling a BTL house we own with my husband and a

We are selling a BTL house we own with my husband and a friend. In preparation, we accounted for expenses made over the years and it appears that our friend contributed significantly less than her 1/3 share. She expressed shock at this and asked for all receipts, invoices to do her own analysis. We had a dedicated joint bank account for transactions relating to this house, so easy to trace accounts.
We need to agree on figures and share of proceeds but she has been postponing these discussions for more than 5 months. We'd like to settle that matter before the sale concludes (proceeds will be paid to joint account).
She has ignored the last two emails enquiring on meeting availability or any feedback on the mater. She was reluctant to sell in the first place and I think this may be her reason for stalling.
We're considering mediation to prompt her to start these discussions and I don't know how to approach it.

Good morning, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and I have reviewed your question for you. Where a joint owner is being obstructive and is preventing sale you may be left with no option but to apply for an order for sale of the property. Mediation is an option if you all agree to engage and it is bound to be Cheaper and to take less time to conclude. I would recommend using CEDR as they are much cheaper mediators and wealth of experience. Give the difficult joint tenant the choice to mediate and say if she does not respond within 5 days you will have no option but to apply to court for an Order for sale and you will seek your costs. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question. All the best.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for this information. Much appreciated