SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have become involved with a registered charity that has

Customer Question

Hi. I have become involved with a registered charity that has responsibility for 11 hectares of open space...community access and horse grazing. I have suggested they could apply for basic payments via the rural payments agency. I understand that the charity will have to have entitlements to qualify. I have a form that needs to be completed by a solicitor to verify eligibility for the entitlements. This will incur solicitors fees. I know you can't say for sure that the charity will definitely qualify but is there any reason why it wouldn't qualify. Any advice you can offer in relation to basic payments is appreciated. Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northants
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have registered for basic payments
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have an SBI number.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can wait. Thank you.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

God evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and happy to assist. This is a complex area and the charity having more than 5 hectares is a very good start.

you will also know that you will need to have 5 ‘entitlements’ to  apply.

On declaring what is done on the land you will need to be particular as there are some rules about what you can and cannot do with your land if you claim BPS.

i appreciate the charity provides grazing land for the horses but if they do any arable land farming they  might need to grow 3 different crops and use 5% of your land to do specific things that are good for the environment.

you will be required to fulfil the cross compliance rules too and for this RPA and the Animal and Plant Health Agency carry out inspections on a selection of holdings each year. If the inspector finds something wrong, your charity could lose some (or all) of your rural payments.

I strongly recommend that you contact for free helpline guidance about your application:

Contact RPA

Email *****@******.***

You may also contact Farming Advice Service on Helpline 03000 200 301 for free advice.

any clarification please do not hesitate to contact us, always glad to assist. All the best.