How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2258
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have a tenant in a shop that I own and he is almost 2

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a tenant in a shop that I own and he is almost 2 months behind with his rent which is £900 owed so far. It’s £450.00 per month. He is on a monthly contract and he has broken several of the stipulations in it. Firstly he has been living in the shop from the day he got the keys and has ignored all requests by me to stop. The fire officer went to see him two days ago and told him he must not live there as there is no fire escape. He has totally ignored this and I’ve been told he is still doing it. This can make my insurance invalid I think if there was a fire which really worries me, and I have a tenant living upstairs in the flat. Part of the contract says he must insure the shop and show me the documents and he hasn’t done this either. I know he isn’t going to pay any rent now and I want him out as soon as possible, can you help me please? Regards, Alison
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I haven’t done anything yet apart from reply to a very nasty email he sent me lying through his teeth and accusing me of all sorts and warnings to keep away.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Downham Market
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i can’t think of anything at the moment. Is this definitely going to be free advice?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm what is he accusing you of?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I send you his email privately?

Hi, thank you for your message. We cannot represent clients as we only work online. If you have already made complaints to them I would advise you instruct a solicitor to draft a letter on your behalf. However, before instructing a solicitor I would advise that you write them a final letter where you set out your case and at the end of the letter state that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action. This may cause them to act quicker.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help, I’m very sorry I didn’t realise that you can’t represent clients so I’ve had to cancel membership. Your information was very helpful though thank you. Regards, Alison