MarcInLaw
MarcInLaw,
Experience:  Expert
110941711

I have a tenant who is very destructive and antisocial

Customer Question

I have a tenant who is very destructive and antisocial behaviour the tenant knows there is a no smoking policy inside the flat also knows he is not allowed to play music loud. The tenant also has damaged some of the properties and also damaged furniture. The tenant also pays rent late and when the Rent is usually short buy some money. The tenant refuses to acknowledge They are in the wrong and even has assaulted the landlord recently. We want the tenant out of the house as soon as possible. Is it legal to change the lock and put the tenant stuff in storage.
Expert:  MarcInLaw replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I am sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately not, the landlord would have to follow a formal process to evict this tenant, otherwise the landlord could be liable under an unlawful eviction. If the tenant assaulted the landlord the landlord should be reporting this to the Police. They may be able to impose certain bail conditions which could mean the tenant is not allowed to stay in the property. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The person was bailed back to the landlord house after he assaulted her in her own home she rents from her.
Expert:  MarcInLaw replied 15 days ago.

I understand. Your landlord would have to start the process of evicting the tenant but legally she cannot change the locks. Let me know if you need anything else or want me to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thanks. What’s the minimum notice period
Expert:  MarcInLaw replied 15 days ago.

It depends on the tenancy agreement in place.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is not expire date in the agreement. It’s more of a long term agreement. The tenant can leave anytime they want
Expert:  MarcInLaw replied 15 days ago.

I see. There should be a clause which requires the landlord to give a certain notice to tenant, if the landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy.