How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2260
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

We are 4 people on joint tenancy and I paid for rent so for

Customer Question

We are 4 people on joint tenancy and I paid for rent so for last few years as first 2 years it is wife and her parents. Last 2 years , we are divorced. Land Lord is threating all the time as a one entity some one should pay the rent. Now I am giving notice as I am rolling contract though Land lord not accepted. But that is different issue all together.
can I sue other tenants for unpaid rent and council tax and water bill as I have proofs of paying all these bills. Is there a valid case against them to recover some rent from them?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm are all 4 persons named in the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
First time I have seen the contract 2 days ago as other tenents hidden it and said lost. But I can confirm 5 tenants exists on the contract and unfortunately one tenant expired couple of years ago. 2 of the tenants receive around £2.5k monthly as rent and pension. Hope that answers your question.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry. 2 of the tenants own a property in the London and they receive rent from that Property. Just to clear the confusion.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry. It is almost 2 hours. I have seen very quick responses. But why this is got delayed.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You can make a claim against any of the tenants that are on the tenancy agreement. I would advise that you write them a letter setting out your case and asking for your money. If they do not give you the money you will need to take legal action. I would advise that you instruct a solicitor to represent you.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!