Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

What form of evidence will I need to give to evict a tenant

Customer Question

Hi what form of evidence will I need to give to evict a tenant who's breached the tenancy agreement?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None, I became aware of one breach when I had an electrician in to carry out an ECIR. The tenant had removed both the smoke detectors. I booked an inspection of my property, to find he had split with his partner named on the agreement and taken in friends to help with the rent payments without my knowledge or consent! He had also changed the door lock without my consent or knowledge so his partner couldn't get in.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: NN9 6PX
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I know the neighbours both sides and it's a row of terrace cottages. One of the neighbours who my tenant has to pass to access the rear main entrance has witnessed 3 extra people living there, they play loud music through the early hours of the morning and he smells drug usage from inside.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome to just answer. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have you taken any pictures?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The Electrician took a photo of the smoke detectors when he did his ECIR, apart from that no unfortunately, I now have another key for the new lock as I insisted on having one. He said his Dad had changed it and kept the original, so having the original and the new key is the only proof for that breach. He told me on my visit that he only had one friend living there but my neighbour says there's four of them in the house every night.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. Any before and after pictures should help, proof of change of lock/new keys, emails, text messages. A report from the electrician setting out what he did and what he saw. I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!