james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Joint tenancy says 4 people on joint tenancy (signed) and I

Customer Question

Joint tenancy says 4 people on joint tenancy (signed) and I paid for rent so for last few years as first 2 years it is wife and her parents are other 3 people. Last 2 years , we are divorced. Land Lord is threating all the time as a one entity some one should pay the rent. Now I am giving notice as I am rolling contract though Landlord not accepted. But that is different issue all together.can I sue other tenants for unpaid rent and council tax and water bill as I have proofs of paying all these bills. Is there a valid case against them to recover some rent from them?
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you ..

When tenants share a property and sign a joint tenancy, then normally the tenancy will contain a clause or wording confirming that the tenancy is a joint and sole tenancy. That simply means that each tenant is liable solely and jointly for the rent and all bills. If one does not pay, the others become liable and the landlord can peruse any of the tenants either individually or jointly for payment.

If a tenant does not pay, and the others cover the costs, then they in turn can indeed sue the non paying tenant for the extra money they have paid.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.