How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4331
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Been with my partner for 3 years and her relatives want me

Customer Question

Hi there, been with my partner for 3 years and her relatives want me out in a week with my stuff. We’re do I stand, with law?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Is this a joint or sole rental property or is it jointly or solely owned by one of you?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My partner solely owned the place.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

You say 'partner', does that mean you are not married?

Did you make any contribution to the property?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
we were paying for the front of the house being rendered and I put a 1000 pounds in her bank on the day.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

Okay, well, as you were not married you don't have a claim against her for home rights - which you would have done had you been married.

The £1000 you paid towards rendering is a negligent amount in comparison to rent that would have been payable had you lived elsewhere, so you are unlikely to be able to raise a good enough argument that you have added any substantial value to the house and should therefore have a beneficial interest. You could try asking her for the money back if you wanted to push it, but I think it's probably best to cut your losses and move.

You don't actually have any rights to the property at all, and as I said above, since you are not married you have no marital home rights either, so you have to leave the property when she tells you to.

Sorry, I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but it is how the law stands.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, we weren’t married?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What about with the pandemic, how long would I get?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

The notice periods for you are whatever your ex provides - s/he is not bound to give you notice as per pandemic rules as you are not a tenant.

All the best.