Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Expulsion from apartment

Customer Question

Expulsion from apartment
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The owner of my apartment wants me to leave the apartment in three days without any kind of notice .. I live with three other friends and we all paid £ 5000 for a deposit check before entering the apartment we already live there for eight months .. The man does not want to return the money to us and the apartment has no damage whatsoever . There is no damage to the apartment. We just want to receive our money. It is absurd to have to be expelled from an apartment without any kind of notice.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A person delivered it to our house
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We all have a signed contract and no one is committing any crime in the apartment
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (Q3S64VQ)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In short the owner is breaking the contract and wants us to leave the apartment in 72 hours
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
he doesn't want to return our money, what is the right that we have?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The most correct thing would be for him to do an evaluation of the apartment to see that there is no damage and return the money to us. We can rent another one because we have been there for 9 months.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Since august last year
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi yes I still waiting
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
24 hours and nothing :(
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I didn’t receive Any answer yet
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Helloooo
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

The notice pinned to the door is an antisocial behaviour notice on behalf of the metropolitan police, is your address the address on the notice? If so have you been involved in conduct that might be considered anti-social? Is the landlord looking to rely on the police notice to close the property? The contract you attached says you have a licence not a tenancy but that is not decisive, in terms of the £5000 was this described as a deposit to you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I already explained everything very well, but it seems that you did not understand anything, I am waiting 4 days for an answer that didn’t even tell me anything .. we haven’t communicated anything wrong inside our apartment .. We lived there for nine months and the amount of £ 5,000 was an amount we paid to enter the apartment for an extra rent. That amount would be returned when we left the apartment.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The owner of the apartment doesn't want to return my deposit money and wants me to leave the apartment without my money, that's what I want you to understand
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Besides I have to find out what he sub - rents the apartment for us
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I just want to know if I can stay in the apartment without risking being expelled

Thank you for your message, I understand you have already gone into some detail but I ask the questions I ask for a reason because I need to know the answers and have not read them in the information supplied so far. That said, despite the fact your agreement indicates you have a licence I believe you actually have a rental agreement and case law indicates that the fact an agreement says you have a licence does not mean you actually have a licence, if all the requirements for a tenancy are present such as paying a deposit and rent. You cannot be expelled with just 72 hours notice, your notice period will be in accordance with your contract if there is a break clause but also subject to the Coronovirus Act which stiplates that the notice period must be at least 6 months. If you leave your deposit should also be returned in full and if not you can bring legal action for recovery.

I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.

I thank you for visiting the website and for the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. If you have further questions, inquiries or queries let me know post haste and I will attempt to answer them. Otherwise I bid you a good day