How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1845
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
John is online now

Boundary wall query, I arrived at my home after being locked

This answer was rated:

Boundary wall query
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: I arrived at my home after being locked down to find a 2.65 m high wall with no planning application
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Mumbles Swansea
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The wall is built adjacent to the boundary he stated it is only 2 m on his side but that is because he has made up the ground. There is no planning application made by him.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear about this. To erect a new boundary wall higher than 2m in height will most certainly require planning permission. What you will need to do is report the matter to the council for their attention. I hope this helps.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
To carry on the story I asked him politely to reduce the wall height to below 2m. His comments were that the wall is only 2m high on his side. But that is because he has made the ground up by 500 to 600 mm. I was the you can’t call it anything else that if I made a problem where he had to take his wall down he would build it higher and block my view. I also think he should have appointed a party wall surveyor as he is close to my foundations

I'm sorry to hear that, if he had a party wall surveyor you should have received notice of the works if he is carrying out works on a shared property boundary. If it is not a shared property boundary, and it exceeds 2m he will need planning permission and cannot mask it by making up the ground, or even if he were made to take it down and then erected a higher wall to block your view you may take legal action via an injunction to prevent this, if need be. The best course of action for now is to report the matter to the council who will be able to investigate. All the best, John.

John and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you