How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2596
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I need help to understand how do I stand with my neighbour,

This answer was rated:

Good morning
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need help to understand how do I stand with my neighbour, for the big tree in his side of the fence, of which rout and branches effecting mu property
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: as this is effecting foundation of my garage next to fence, we have written to them through solicitor , for which we did not get any response, also went to see general manager who refuse to give us contact detail of the site manager and we were told that unless we get surveyors report with photos od the routs under the garage foundation, they will not look into it.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 580 Honeypot lane
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: stanmore

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you
I will wait.

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am sorry to hear what is happening I know things like these can be very distressing.

You are legally able to cut back the branches that hang over your property. You should be careful though that in doing so that you do not cut parts of the branch that hangs over your neighbours property.

The principle is the same with respect to the roots. Roots encroaching on your property can be removed. You cannot however cut the roots that are on your neighbour's side of the fence. The disadvantage to doing this though is that if by cutting the roots there is damage done to the tree, you could be liable for this. Additionally, if for example in cutting the root the tree falls and damages the neighbours house etc. you could be liable for this.

Perhaps an option would be to see if a root guard could be put in place or getting someone who is properly qualified to remove the root to assist. Additionally, your home insurance may have included legal expense coverage. The department may be able to assist you in having this issue resolved with your neighbour. I recommend therefore to get in touch with your insurers. This may be something that you are able to get assistance with.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2596
Experience: Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the information and advice. Could you please let e know if it is possible for yourself to represent me and insist neighbour (who is big multiple office complex) to cut down trees to reasonable level to route does not penetrate further. If so, will there be any additional cost for your services.
kind regards

i apologise for my delayed response. Unfortunately I was away from the system today. Unfortunately I am unable to take clients on personally from this site. You may locate a local Solicitor here:

Select the option "houses and property" and input your postcode.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you