How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7856
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

In March we moved out of a flat, but the lift broke a week

This answer was rated:

Hi ***** we moved out of a flat, but the lift broke a week before our moving date. (The lift was out of service pretty much once or twice a month while we were there for 7 years)
We contact the building manager to let him know. And, hoped they would send someone to fix it so that we could move out from a 5th floor flat smoothly. However, no response at all. As a result, the moving company increasing the charge from £670 to £2000 because the situation requested more porters. I want to find out if I have a right to request compensation for the extra cost (£1330) from building management. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, I haven't. I live in London, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really.


I am a solicitor and will assist you today.

Have you contacted the building manager about the increased cost?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not yet.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you for picking up my question!)

I am glad to be of help.

You may raise the issue with the building manager and ask them to make up the difference or face a claim from you for the difference.

If the lift broke down due to their negligence, you may try and recover the extra cost from them as damages.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for letting me know.
I wonder if there is any property law that I can mention in my letter so they will take my case more seriously. Thanks.

You may point to your tenancy agreement and say that there was a breach of contract by them failing to ensure that the lift was working properly at all times.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you