UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

In March we moved out of a flat, but the lift broke a week

Hi ***** we moved out of a flat, but the lift broke a week before our moving date. (The lift was out of service pretty much once or twice a month while we were there for 7 years)
We contact the building manager to let him know. And, hoped they would send someone to fix it so that we could move out from a 5th floor flat smoothly. However, no response at all. As a result, the moving company increasing the charge from £670 to £2000 because the situation requested more porters. I want to find out if I have a right to request compensation for the extra cost (£1330) from building management. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, I haven't. I live in London, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really.

I am a solicitor and will assist you today.

Have you contacted the building manager about the increased cost?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not yet.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you for picking up my question!)

I am glad to be of help.

You may raise the issue with the building manager and ask them to make up the difference or face a claim from you for the difference.

If the lift broke down due to their negligence, you may try and recover the extra cost from them as damages.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for letting me know.
I wonder if there is any property law that I can mention in my letter so they will take my case more seriously. Thanks.

You may point to your tenancy agreement and say that there was a breach of contract by them failing to ensure that the lift was working properly at all times.

All the best