How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ChrisB4147 Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 104
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ChrisB4147 is online now

How do I find out which fence my garden I am responsible

This answer was rated:

How do I find out which fence my garden I am responsible for. address 200 Muswell Hill Road London N10 3NG garden ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yret. It does not show on deeds and previous owners did not know.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London under Haringey council
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

When you look at the deeds is there no ‘T’ mark on the boundary lines or anything in the land Register to suggest the owner of the boundary lines?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i only have an official copy of the register of the title from 14years ago. The solicitor says this is the deeds, but it it does not show a plan of the land. The solicitor also sad rather bizarrely that it is in any case out of date by now,

I’m not quite sure what  means by the fact that it’s out of date. Unless anything changes then it is still valid. Do you have a copy you can send me? Alongside the register is often a plan of land with an edged red layout. Do you have one of those?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No, I don't have anything else than this land registry document.

I would’ve hoped that your solicitor would’ve been little more helpful. However, if there is nothing in the register or nothing on any plan then the fact is that they are Boundry walls and therefore both you and the neighbour would be liable for them. Any work would have to be dealt with under any party wall scheme.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Many thanks. Where can I get info. about party wall scheme?

A good starting point is the government website here. There is also a lot of information on the Internet about party wall matters. Ultimately, if anything is happened to party wall in terms of building work or building work near a party wall you would have to get a surveyor involved to do all the necessary notices et cetera. However, if it’s simply a fence that has blown down or the wall needs repairing then that can just be dealt with by communication with the neighbours.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks very much.I think there must be a PLAN that I don't have, which maybe I can acquire through the Land registry. The solicitor said that the document I have was all that was needed.??

There will definitely be a plan. Sometimes it’s potluck whether there is anything shown on it. If there is a T, then wherever it is facing inwards from the boundary line it is that property which has the responsibility of it. You can simply search the land registry e-service site and obtain a copy of the plan. It will cost £3.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking? If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you. Otherwise, thank you for using JustAnswer. All the best and hope the matter gets resolved.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you . You have been helpful, and I shall follow your advice. Jennie Mcdonnell

You’re welcome. Many thanks.

ChrisB4147 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you