SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am a landlord and my tenant is on universal credit. the

Hello, I am a landlord and my tenant is on universal credit. the contract is ending September 2021. Is there any chance he can stay not paying, or ignoring the end of tenancy Agreement (AST) and being protected by any Covid schemes. I surely want him out. Thanks.

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

You must give him section 21 notice giving him the 6 months notice to vacate. If he has not been given valid notice then yes there is a chance he can stay and you will not be able to start possession proceedings without having given the relevant notice. If he has not paid rent for at least 4 months you can give the Section 8 notice for him to vacate sooner that the end of the AST. These timescales are all due to the Covid adjustments otherwise under normal circumstances the notice periods are 2 months anf 2 weeks, respectively. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question. All the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
will I really need to give notice even when the contract is clearly ending September 2021? It was for a total of 12 months.

Yes you are meant to give notice to terminate an AST, if you have a good tenant that will just leave on time then fair enough you would not have to worry, but you must always give notice to coincide with the end of the AST term to ensure if a tenant does not leave you can start possession proceedings straight away.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you so much, top rating for you to come!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello again, I just found this article:
https://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/possession_proceedings_and_eviction/notices/section_21_notices#_ednref14I refer too this section:Covid-19: Extended minimum notice periods
During the coronavirus pandemic, the following rules apply:The minimum notice period for section 21 notices served between 26 March 2020 and 28 August 2020 is three months.[1]The minimum notice period for section 21 notices served between 29 August 2020 and 31 May 2021 is six months.[2]My question:
What happens it I give notice after the 31.5.2021. Is it then back to normal pre Covid 2 months? The 6 months seem to be limited due to Covid.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
if after 31.5.2021 all is back to normal it would be better to service notice after the 31.5. I think, because if I do it now it will be 6 months I understand...
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you for clarifying

Good morning. Nobody knows what the government's position will be after 31 May 2021 regrettably as the government has not said anything. The hope is that the normal provisions requiring only 2 months notice will resume but until there is a regulation or policy stating that fact it is really a waiting game. Should we get back to the normal timelines then notice after 31 May would be the quicker solution.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you for clarifying

You are welcome