Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

We purchased some land adjoining ours from a neighbour well

Hello, we purchased some land adjoining ours from a neighbour well over a year ago. When the land registry documents came through it appeared that a part of the land sold to us did not solely belong to him. We think, but do not know for sure that it probably was a small parking place belonging to some land jointly owned by my neighbour and his wife, but the land registry document did not make this clear.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I asked my solicitor to look into the matter with my neighbour’s solicitor as I felt this should have been sorted out during the initial search or whatever. However, in spite of a number requests for help from my solicitor,
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: they no longer answer my emails.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am in my mid seventies and I know that in time the land will be mine due to possession laws, but I can’t wait 20 years or so for this to happen. I think it is all just a mix up, but my solicitor does not seem to want to get involved. In fairness the original arrangement was through one solicitor in the firm who retired shortly after the sale, but her partner does not even acknowledge my email contacts.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

May I ask when you purchased this land?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
8th October 2019
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The land was purchased in October 2019

This should have been picked up by the solicitors that acted on the purchase and the solicitor would normally have sent you a plan showing the extent of the land you are buying and asking you to confirm that what’s on the plan and what’s on the ground are the same.

The relevant period for adverse possession is 10 years, not 20.

I don’t know whether there is an allegation that the solicitor is in any way at fault here but of the solicitor is refusing to deal, you might want to make a formal complaint in writing to the firm’s complaints Partner.

If the Seller agrees that this piece of land should have been in your title, then it’s relatively easy to resolve although it’s not the solicitor’s fault, they may want paying for it which is why they are being uncooperative.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will write to the solicitors asking that they put me in touch with their Complaints Partner. That might generate some response.
Thanks again 5 star rating.