Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My neighbour has come round to my house telling me she wants

My neighbour has come round to my house telling me she wants to move a fence, and extend her garden into an area that, as far as I was aware fell within my property. I checked my deeds and I am right. But she says the deeds are superceded by 'Ordnance survey', and showed me a plan from 'UKplanningmaps.com' which shows a different border between our properties from the one on my deeds... what do I do. I'm about to sell the house and I don't want a boundary dispute to jeopardise the sale.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. It just happened
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. It's just a preliminary enquiry

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Have you told her that it doesnt match what your deeds show?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But she says the ordnance survey map supercedes the deeds.

She is wrong.  The land registry title deed is “it”.

The reason she’s raise this now is to try to get you to capitulate because she knows that you’re selling the house and nobody will usually buy it with that boundary dispute.

It depends really on whether you are bothered about this piece of land that she alleges but even if you agreed, then does not accord with what the land registry title deeds says.

However as I said the land registry title deed is “it” and if she believes otherwise, then she needs to come up with some legal premise for why she thinks that some online map company knows more than the Land Registry.

Tell her that you have already taken legal advice and you can show her this reply and suggest that she does the same.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have