UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I’ve just had the quote through fir my neighbours repairs

I’ve just had the quote through fir my neighbours repairs for minor damage caused due to my extension. The quotes seem excessive, can I challenge this and ask fir a more detailed breakdown of the works vs the original list as supplied by his PW Surveyor?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: all PW paperwork has been done. All work my end completed. He refused my builder doing the repairs, wanted his own . The quotes have just come through, so it is the final stages. I have not disputed the works but these quotes seem huge
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Sydenham South London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so

I am a solicitor.

You may get your own builder/surveyor to provide a quote for the repair works and see if that is more economical.

Yes, you may also request for a breakdown of the quote from your neighbour by contacting the builder directly.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What if he doesn’t allow my builder to gain access to his property?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No live call
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If you could let me know what I can do if my neighbour refuses my builder entry that would be helpful!!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I may want a live call at some point once I hear back from my PW Surveyor

I have rejected the call request, we may continue by text.

In that case, you may inform your neighbour that you will not pay for his builder.

and that you need to obtain at least two or three quotes to assess what is fair and reasonable.

All the best

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok great thank you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I will await to hear back from my PW Surveyor as I have asked for the existing quotes to be itemised.

You are welcome. All the best

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
regardless of his quotes, I still have the right to gain quotes in order to compare?

You may insist that you get your own quotes and compare to see what is reasonable.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok and that’s fully within the law?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My apologies, it’s just that my neighbour is not the easiest of people and has been confrontational in the pass.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I want to make sure I have the law on my side too

Yes, it is not illegal or against the law.

Understood.

I am now going offline. All the best

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you fir your help

You are welcome.