How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 19391
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Hallo! Thank you! I signed a contract for rental of an

This answer was rated:

Hallo! Thank you! I signed a contract for rental of an apartment on the 20 April 2021. On the second day while I was moving in I become a whiteness of an ugly scandal between the neighbors, who live on the firs floor, just above us. The same scandal happened aging several days after. As I found from the other neighbors this is a common event, which usually is finished with attendance of the police. As a single mum, who lives together with two kids the possibility to share one house and back garden with aggressive and violent people is not an option. Can I terminate the contract, as I haven`t being warned that there is such problem
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I informed the Landlord
JA: Where is the apartment located?
Customer: N20
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The rental agency I worked with also refuse to know anything about the problem with these people
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It`s stated in the contract that it could be terminated after 6 months, with 2 months notice. Can I terminate it before that and what steps I need to take?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am sure that there are Police records of most of the scandals happened, as well as witnesses` testimonials. This problem continues for about a year. As I was advice the police need to attend several times a day sometime. Having in mind I am single mum, is there a piece of legislation which protects my rights to protect my family form the violence and agression?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can the contract being terminated based on the fact the Landlord`s hidden information and he can`t provide piece and security for my family?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

If the Landlord knew of this and didn't declare it to you, then you are entitled to terminate.

this would be a breach of contract by misrepresentation in breach of the Misrepresentation Act 1967.

Its misrepresentation if they knew and kept silent when it would have been material to your decision.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you advise me, pls what shall I do further? What steps shall I take?

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

You should also saying you are terminating forthwith.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you