How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15799
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I need to resolve a situation where the purchasers solicitor

This answer was rated:

I need to resolve a situation where the purchasers solicitor for a property has raised an issue with the vendor's solicitor about 'title defects' and the vendors solicitor after several months simply claims that there are no such defects and refuses to enter into discussion. At one point advising just to buy the property and sort it out afterwards. (This has led to the loss of a prospected buyer by the purchaser and some associated costs). What pressure can be excerted on the vendors solicitor to act professionally?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: yes I have a list of relevant emails. I am acting for my son and dealing with his two solicitors and the estate agent (who recommended the vendor to use the solicitor in question) as he has a stressful NHS roll and really hasn't the time
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Holm Green , Whitley Bay ,North Tyneside
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really. Unfortunately my son's sale has fallen through due to the delay. If there is no problem with the title (and our solicitor is wrong) surely that should be explained (I assume the solicitors had the same text book!)


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

If contracts have nit been exchanged, you canmot complet the vendors solictor to provide you the replies you require.  If they refuse or fail to do so, you can simply walk away from the transaction.  Unfortunatley, you cannot comoplet them to prpovide this information if contrcacts have nit been exchanged.

I hope this answers your question. If you h ave any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What about expenses incurred and have to be paid (due to purchaser withdrawing) because of his unprofessional inaction. Is there a process or organisation to complain about poor professional standards?


Until such time as contracts are exchanged, if one party withdraws, they are liable for their own costs.  As no contract has been exchanged, you cannot claim for any losses incurred.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

INC Law and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you