INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Im looking to buy a lease flat and the seller did not seek

hi Im looking to buy a lease flat and the seller did not seek permission to install shower. he did not update the consumer box to accommodate work either. so when i update it and fix shower i will need to send part p to free holder. i assume i need to seek retrospective permission. Is this likeley to be expensive. still tracing head leaser.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: sheffield
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the flat was built 1975. I'm concerned if i go ahead and buy it it will cost a lot to do. So i'm asking advise on expenses involved. I cant see them not allowing permission as its for safety.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i have asked my conveyancer to hold an allowance to sort this and requested £800. would this be too much or too little. thankyou

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate and will be asisting you with your question today.

I would suggest you retain up to £1500.00 until such time as the relevant certificates have been obtained.  £800.00 may not be enough if electrical installation is required.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he has agreed to pay £650 towards work needing to be done. Im not sure about process and costs involved in seeking retrospective permission. we are still trying to get names and addresses. thankyou
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
no thankyou. if could email for now

I would suggest you speak with the local council and ascertain the cost of the retrospectove permission.

In addition, you should obtain 3 quotes from local contractors and then retain an average amount.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thankyou. i thought the freeholder set prices for permissions. Do i only have to inform the council as the electrician will do that. Its the actual leaseholder that he should have sought origin permission from as its a lease condition he didnt alter anything.

Yes, you will have to inform the council. You may also wist to consider indemnity insurance for the missing landlord permission.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thankyou

Its a pleasure. Good luck